Welcome To topaupairs.com, Please Sign In or Register For Free
TopAupairs Logo




We have found a lovely Au Pair through your site. Many Thanks from the Wright family.
Nyree and Antony, United Kingdom

Au Pair Information For Netherlands

Home > Au Pair Hosting Countries > Netherlands

1) What is an MVV? An authorization for temporary stay (mvv) is a visa required for travel to the Netherlands if you plan to stay for longer than three months. You may want to study or live in with your partner in the Netherlands. During the application procedure for a mvv it will be determined whether you meet the requirements for residence in the Netherlands, before you arrive in the country.

A mvv is a sticker placed in your passport. You can apply for one at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin / residence. The mvv will allow you to cross the border in the Netherlands. Within 8 days of your arrival in the Netherlands, you must request a residence permit from the Foreign Police of the municipality in which you are residing of staying. The Dutch embassy will never issue a visa for a short stay (a visa valid for a max. of 3 months) if you intend to stay longer than three months.

You will receive a residence permit if you meet all of the requirements for residence in the Netherlands. By travelling to the Netherlands without an authorization for temporary stay (mvv), however, you risk being sent back to your own country if your residence permit application is rejected. You will have to pay your own travel expenses and will not receive a refund for your residence permit application fee.

Instead of applying in person, the person at whose home you will be staying (or the organization where you will be working) may ask the Foreign Police in the Netherlands whether you are eligible for a mvv. The foreign police will officially advise the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) of the Ministry of Justice.

The IND will then instruct the embassy in the appropriate country. The Dutch embassy or consulate will summon you to complete the procedure.

2) Who needs a MVV

? Most foreign nationals who wish to stay in the Netherlands longer than 3 months and want to apply for a residence permit must request a mvv in advance.

3) Which exceptions apply?

Some foreign nationals do not need a mvv to apply for a residence permit in the Netherlands.

Subjects of the following countries are exempt:

Citizens of Member States of the EUROPEAN UNION:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom;

AND citizens of the following countries:

Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland (inclu. Liechtenstein) and the United States of America.

4) General procedure:

Apply for a mvv at an embassy or consulate of the Netherlands in your country of origin or permanent residence. Depending on the purpose of your stay, you will need to present various documents, such as a birth or marriage certificate. In addition, your sponsor can ask the foreign police in the Netherlands whether you are eligible for a mvv. Your sponsor may be the individual at whose home you will be staying or the organization where you will be working.

The diplomatic mission or the foreign police will ask the Visa Service for permission to issue a mvv. Although the Visa Service is part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it operates out of the Immigration a Naturalization Service (IND) of the Ministry of Justice in The Hague. This service will examine whether you meet all the requirements for coming to the Netherlands.

The Visa Service will then ask the police (in the town where you plan to stay) for information. The IND rules on your application on the basis of this information and sends it�s recommendation to the embassy. If your application is rejected, you may file a petition for review with the minister of Foreign Affairs, asking for a new decision.

If your application is approved, you will not automatically receive a mvv. The embassy will check whether you meet a few official requirements, such as possession of a valid travel document. If you meet these requirements, you can collect your mvv at the embassy. You must pay a fee for your mvv. Now you can leave for the Netherlands.

After arriving in the Netherlands, you must report to the foreign police within 8 business days. NOTE: a shorter period may be indicated on you mvv. You can request a residence permit (vergunning tot verblijf or VTV) there. You will have to pay a processing fee for your VTV application as well. In general you will need a mvv to apply for a VTV. Otherwise your application will be processed only if you can prove that you meet all requirements. If, however, you do not meet all requirements for obtaining a VTV, your application will be rejected immediately and you will have came to the Netherlands for nothing.

You will receive a VTV if you meet all admission requirements. The requirements concern, among other things, the income of the person at whose house you plan to stay. In addition, your presence may not pose any risks to the public peace or order or to national security.


This site is really great, I found a family in no time and its really worked out good for me, Thanks!
Monika, Poland